We are a global Relay event. In fact, we are the most global Relay event with teams and volunteers and supporters from countries spanning the globe. Currently, The Society still invests in supporting cancer organizations in many countries around the world. When you support the American Cancer Society, you support our efforts to be the global leader in the fight against cancer. The impact that we have in the global fight is monumental. For example:
- The American Cancer Society was one of the primary sponsors and was involved in the planning and execution of The International Conference on Public Health in the 21st Century: The Endgame for Tobacco.
- The American Cancer Society "Treat the Pain" program is a partnership with Nigerian government and has not only helped make oral morphine more readily available to patients in pain, but has also helped reduce the cost of medication by 81%. Learn more at treatthepain.org
- The American Cancer Society participated in the 7th "Stop Cervical Cancer in Africa Conference" held in Mozambique.
- The American Cancer Society and world Lung Foundation released the Spanish version of The Tobacco Atlas, 4th Edition, a joint publication by both organizations, in Chile. The Tobacco Atlas is the world's leading resource on the burden of tobacco.
- The American Cancer Society has been working to reduce cervical cancer incidence and mortality among women in Latin America and the Caribbean. The announcement was made at the 2013 Women Deliver conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Over the last several years, the Society has undergone a transformation. During this time, the budget has been analyzed, and we have focused on making as much of a difference with your donor dollars as we can. We now look at our programs with a wider lens, and are focused on investing more of your donor dollars toward cancer research and programs of support, education, and prevention because no matter where the research is performed, the results will benefit the world.
Global Relay For Life: One World - One Hope!
The American Cancer Society's signature activity has become a global movement. Global Relay For Life (IRFL) events are now held in more than 600 communities spanning 23 countries and 2 virtual worlds. This unique activity, designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for life-saving research and programs, unites and mobilizes community members committed to eliminating cancer.
The Global Relay For Life Program enables cancer leagues around the world to increase their visibility and generate cancer awareness, outreach, and income while building survivorship, volunteerism, and advocacy efforts in their communities.
In 2014, local volunteers will organize overnight Relay For Life events to support cancer organizations in Australia, Belgium, Bermuda, Canada, Denmark, France, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Ireland,Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Luxembourg, Malaysia, The Netherlands, New Zealand, the Philippines, Portugal, South Africa, United Arad Emirates, the United Kingdom, Zambia, the virtual world of Second Life and InWorldz
Through Global Relay, survivors are given the spotlight to show that there is life after diagnosis. These "International Heroes of Hope" inspire other community members who have been touched by cancer. They are a testament to the progress that has been made in the fight against cancer and are changing the face of survivorship worldwide.
For more information visit http://relayforlife.org/global.